Pages

Daniel Lanois on Tracking Drums

Kick: AKG D12 and Coles ribbon mic (placed 3 feet away)

Snare: Shure SM57 

OH: RCA 44 (but unlike most engineers, Lanois opts to put his overhead over the rack toms. So, in all intents and purposes it's a tom mic that acts as an overhead as well)  



"There are two philosophies for recording drums. You can completely isolate the drums or not isolate them at all. Lately I've been using the latter approach. I just did a recording with my drummer, Brian Blade, sitting right next to me. My amps were right by his kit, and we treated it all as one. We miked everything separately, but we didn't put the guitar amps down the hall to separate them from the drums like I'd normally do.
"I've discovered that musicians self-balance if you keep them close together," he elaborates. "Musicians try to harmonize and balance so everything sounds musical in its acoustic form. I seem to get my best results when people are close together. When I listen back to those recordings, they have more depth of field and the positioning just automatically adjusts itself so you don't have to do much fake positioning with mixing." 
--Daniel Lanois