Pages

Daniel Lanois on Tracking Vocals

Daniel Lanois has a track record for producing that has hit every who's who in popular music, working with; U2, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Emmy Lou Harris, Willie Nelson, and many more.

So...when he says something about how to capture vocals...I'm going to listen.

Daniel is partial to recording vocalists with mics that most would consider to be a live microphone instead of old condenser mics.


He's been known to track Bono of U2 exclusively with either the Shure Beta 58 or Shure SM58. 

"I find singers perform better when it's like they're performing on stage. The Beta 58s sounds great when the singer gets right on top of it and it minimizes drum leakage." 

I've found this to be the case too, not that you need my opinion. Try it out! I've learned that half the battle is making the singer feel comftorable. If you can reduce the pressure of the studio and let the artist emote into the mic, the performance captured will be better for it. 

SOURCE